[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - When a wheel falls off it's time for a disc conversion
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 When a wheel falls off it's time for a disc conversion 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post When a wheel falls off it's time for a disc conversion
My son's been driving the Bronco lately. Today while picking a friend up from college, the front driver's side wheel fell off. Lug nuts must have come loose at some point.

The drum looks beat up and he says the rim is warped too.

Does anyone have a favorite turnkey disc conversion? 2 years ago I tried roaming the U-Pull-and-Pay here in the springs to build my own conversion. I made 6 trips and I didn't get a single part that I didn't have to return because it was wrong. I'm not going to try that again.

One way or the other, I think this will be the start of a build thread.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: When a wheel falls off it's time for a disc conversion
That looks like it was loose for awhile.

I would go with go with Ford based conversion.

That U000172 guy on CB.com seems to have an endless supply of parts from AZ yards.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was up at the upullandpay in the Springs lot last weekend and their Broncos/F150s with the correct knuckles had all been stripped of all the necessary front end parts. Don't waste a trip there unless they get something new in.

I did the all Ford parts swap and am happy with it but not sure I would go through the hassle again. I don't think I saved any money in the end as I ended up swapping in all new bearings, ball joints, rotors, calipers, brake lines and seals anyway. The Chebby swap seems to work well for those that have done it. If I were to repeat I would probably buy a kit from one the vendors.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Viperwolf has the knuckles if your a D44
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6131
Brett

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could be your huckleberry, I'm pulling my entire Chevy set off my truck. The only thing you'll need is brake lines & new pads, any parts store will have them. PM me and we'll work it out.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you wheel it at a level that could break a axle, go Ford. Otherwise the Chevy is s great option.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm not a serious wheeler. Some dirt with a few bumps and a great view, that's my off roading. I'm going to try to work out something with Kinder for his Chevy setup.

I do still have 1 question. My left and right spindles are different. I asked about this a few years ago and was told that I'd probably need to get a new axle. Was that advice correct?

It might be hard to see, but the raised lip on the spindles are of different height. This isn't actually my picture, but it represents what I remember from the last time I pulled the spindles.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd say they were built by different manufacturers and the critical dimensions are probably identical.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry about the trouble! Glad no one was hurt!

I agree with viper. There is a fair amount of play in the front axle shafts so I'd bet you'll be fine. One snap ring might be a little tighter than the other.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The word from Kirk (Kinder) is that he's pulled the parts off of his Bronco and will bring them down to my house on Thursday (March 27th) to help install. If anyone wants to stop by to help or visit is welcome. I'm unsure of the time yet.

My son and I have already pulled the drums and hubs. We'll disconnect and drain the brakes today.

As a side project, I'm finally going to try to clean up my 3G alternator install. We tapped and insrtalled a 3/8 helicoil for tightening instead of a carriage bolt which was a pain to work with. Today I'm trying to find a double V belt pulley to help with the squeal. Lastly I need to get a more solid mount for the mega fuse.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The upgrade is done. So, for a Chevy disc conversion, here are the steps:

1) Announce the need for a conversion on the boards
2) Kirk replies that he's got one
3) Schedule a time for Kirk to come down
4) Stand around while Kirk does the full conversion (including hoses)

Oops, forgot

3a) Buy new brake pads

That's it. That sure didn't seem as difficult as all the other build threads make it out to be.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a few picture from the work done yesterday

Prepped and ready for Kirk

Spindles barely hanging on by friction and ready to go away

My 2 different outer shafts. Notice the differences at the base of the shafts and the offset of the snap ring grove from the tip of the shafts.

Kirk sanding off a bit of dust from the rotos

Fighting the calipers

Done with one side

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It pays to know good people!

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Things I still need to buy and change on the bronco.

1) Ball joints
2) Spindle outer axle seals? The rubber ring that goes between outer axle and spindle.
3) Outer axle. Kirk has a spare he'll help me swap in.
4) New U joints

Was there anything else Kirk?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not off the top of my head, ball joints were #1. I'll look it over real good and hopefully find nothing else that needs attention.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Could be, I'll bring my outer axle shim/seal container as well as my spare outer so we can get it sorted for your current setup.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Everything is purchased and ready for round 2

2 upper balljoints
2 lower balljoints
2 u-joints
1 outer axle seal (they only had 1 in stock)

I got it all for $65 from advance autoparts. I love that there is always a 30% coupon available for them online. You just purchase everything online, enter the discount code, and pay. Then go to the store to pick it up. This time saved about $32.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]