[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Broken shift collar ID
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Broken shift collar ID 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Broken shift collar ID
It's been breaking for awhile and Moab did it in. Thankfully at the last trailhead. Either way it's time to order replacement parts and I'm not sure which ones to get based on the history. It's a 71 but it was converted to an auto before I got it. The collar is cracked all the way through the center piece, the indicator switch housing back plate looks to be missing a tab, and the shift tube looks to have a piece broken off. The wiring was a mess but I'm looking to replace it all and have a functional horn (as opposed to a doorbell). Here are some pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Broken shift collar ID
No idea on what specific year your shifter is from. But, if it lacks and emergency flasher switch on the steering column, it is pre-76.

The tab on the shift tube isn't too bad to reattach. Just make sure and keep the welds small and effective.

WH sells an import shift collar that fits quite nicely. Or you can spend a little extra for one that was OEM.

If you're not too concerned with original, maybe convert over to the 76-77 style column pieces and repurpose your dash mounted hazard switch for something else (fog lamps?).

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon May 05, 2014 7:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did your shift position indicator piece have a black plastic shroud over it before?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

In that last pic...............your shaft appears to be hanging out / exposed

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is a place where a hazard switch would go.
There was a black cover over the gear indicator thingy
I have my hazards on the dash and I like em there. I guess the column hazard would be a cool fog or map light option.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a parts column that you can use whatever you need out of it.

Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's a '74-'77 column. Turn switch is hard to ID because part of it is missing. Looks like it's '73 or earlier version. That's why the screw hole is in the wrong place.

You can repair the shift tube by welding the tab back on. I would probably just go ahead and use the correct turn signal switch and add a horn relay. You can also add a light wire for the shift indicator. Hazard switch wiring is easy if you want to use the column switch.

Get these parts:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-170 ... arket.html
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-170 ... 73-77.html

Mon May 05, 2014 11:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool. I'll order some things tomorrow.

Where would you tack weld the tab that fell off so it wouldn't interfere? The wide sides, narrow sides, or corners?

Does anyone have a diagram or link of the connection from the signal switch to an aftermarket Grant horn?

Thanks again.

BTW- I'm ignoring any shaft comments.

Tue May 06, 2014 3:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ordered the collar and switch. The switch will / should have 2 spring loaded prongs for the horn so I also got the horn relay #3294 (1967-74 ford bronco. The 1975-77 only has 1 wire) :
http://www.grantproducts.com/files/inst ... -00-01.pdf

I talked to a grant guy who said that the steering hub will have a contact plate on the back with 2 wires. This contact plate should rest against both prongs on the switch. The 2 wires should go through the hub, post cover, steering wheel, and to my 2 prong horn button (which I have to cut the ground ring off of). I wont need the contact ring or contact retainer ring. Does all that sound correct? Am I missing anything?

Thu May 08, 2014 4:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If the new switch has 2 contact pins you won't need the relay. The '74-'77 switch has 1 contact pin.

Thu May 08, 2014 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've gotten the collar, switch (with 2 horn pins), and welded the tab per Zach advise ( fits great- thanks man). I'll start putting in the new parts tomorrow.....However, the new switch wires don't match the connection under the dash. I was hoping to put male ends on the new wires and use the existing connection.

My dash hazards work great and would prefer to keep it. But if it is easier to bypass them for ease, I'm game.

I've posted a couple of pics to guide the "re-wiring advise " you've got.

Thanks guys.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

'72-'73 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
green=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #282
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
yellow-black=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #283
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-yellow=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

'74-'77 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
green=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #282
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
yellow-black=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #283
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
blue-yellow=12v horn relay to horn switch, circuit #1
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
blue-red=12v from headlight switch to PRNDL light, #19

The '74-'77 wires are a close match. You have one extra wire for the horn. Switch must be from full size truck or Bronco. Match the blue and yellow horn wires to your existing ones. Light blue/red wire gets connected to dash light circuit (same color wire). You can use the column hazard switch by running a wire from the hazard flasher output (white/red wire) to the turn switch. Then you can use either hazard switch or just unplug the one in the dash.

Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My first question is the flight cost from California to N. Colorado (just a one way is all I need)...

Breaking down the previous post:
Horn wires---good
The Light blue/red wire does not have a matching color on the connection. Is there another color wire for the dash light circuit?
For the Hazards, I can run the white/red wire to the turn switch (where is that connection / wire color?) and both hazard witches will work?
Then the remaining switch wires match up to the colors in the connector?

Viper---Dude, thanks for your patience and knowledge. I guess we can call it even after i saved your ass so many times in Moab.

Wed May 14, 2014 11:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You don't have a matching blue/red wire at the connector. You need to run a wire from a dash blue/red wire.

Hazard wht/red wire runs between the hazard flasher and the old switch. Add a wire to it and bring it down to the column. If you leave the old switch plugged in both should work. Or you can unplug the old switch and use it for something else, like your power asswipe or hair curler.

Wed May 14, 2014 4:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You so funny....

Blue/red wire tapped into a blue/red wire behind the dash. So now I can see "R" in a dark alley. Sweet.
Hazard white/red to the old hazard switch or "multipurpose" power supply
All other wires match.

I don't know why you were all so confused.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ha ha motherFs. I got the column put back together and will do the wiring tomorrow or Saturday. I'm in a hurry cuz I'm losing clients in those dark alleys. Thanks for covering for me Chaney.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Back on the road and runnin awesome! Thanks again!

Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]