[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Landsharks 69er Bought not built project
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Landsharks 69er Bought not built project 

Post Re: Landsharks 69er Bought not built project

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 pm

He's better off than Jeff was with the locker. And Jeff made everything he tried but that one hill the first day on fins n things.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You might not know this... but I'm an expert at living my life with false hope..."Someday, just someday these Bronco guys will respect me"...

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So guess I should update this thread with my ZF-5 install behind the 400. For full details you can find the thread here:

[url="http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228988"]http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228988[/url]

But heres the cliff notes :)

Decided I had enough of the NP435 and not only wanted overdrive but something that was a little more drivable. Decided to go with the ZF-5 behind a Ford 400. A few others have had great success with this conversion as the bellhousing on the 460 ZF-5 matches the 351m/400 engine block.

Although the ZF- will bolt up to the engine the input shaft is a bit too long causing the throwout bearing to fall off the input shaft and not allowing good pressure/clutch disk engagement. To solve this problem I had a spacer made that mounts to the front of the flywheel to the crankshaft and spaces everything back to allow good clutch/bearing engagement.

Anyway, here is the play by play...

Length of the 460 version of the zf-5 is 26.25"

I threw it in back of the Bronco and hauled it home

Custom spacer

Pulling out the bag of hammers...

Have everything ready to go to pull the trans and TC however after taking a look I think I will just drop the exhaust to get it out of the way.. anyway quit for the night it was getting cold out there.

Old stuff coming out.. nothing exciting...

ahhh so much better...

ZF-5 and NP435 side by side

Flywheel and spacer fitment.

[IMGhttp://www.almostmadeit.com/g/galleries/140110_ZF-5_Swap/ysune8uz.jpg[/IMG]

Back of the engine - pretty clean!

Spacer on the end of the crankshaft

Flywheel wheel and spacer mounted

ZF-5 in place, clears!

Getting the Dana20 ready for the zf-5 to D20 adpater.

Zf-5 mated to the Dana20 with the adapter

Twin sticks in! I must have mounted them 25 times to get them to fit right, had to bend, heat, cut and more to get them to work - but work beautifully now!

Rear output of the Dana20 - stepped up to a 1350 driveshaft

Working on the clutch linkage - going with a hydro clutch rather than a mechanical.

Clutch reservoir in place.

Clutch linkage - ended up with a threaded piece in the middle to be able to adjust if needed.

Fabbing up my transmission crossmember

Painted!

mounted

Had a bit of an issue finding a starter.. being a bit of a bone head finally tried the stock 400 starter and wouldn't you know.. its works! So found a mini 400/460 starter and got it mounted up.

Still need some final pictures and video, which hopefully I will have here soon but so far its working great, love the ZF-5.. just need to fab up a floor!

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And.. finally got done with my suspensino fix/upgrade.

Got the Duff arms mounted, frame plated, Diff cover installed, new steering linkage / TRE's and lots of other stuff.

Heres my 7 bay garage where I work on the Bronco - fun times!

I was hoping that I could use the Bilstein 7100's I already had but after some measurements they were just too short. Ordered up some new 14" short body 7100's. I might be able to move the 12" Bilstein to the rear which would be fantastic. I will do some measurements when I remove em.

Anyway - going to re-install the air system, weld up the radius arm mounts, plates I added to re-enforce the frame and get the DOM supports for the upper shock mounts done this week.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Im mounting 12" bilsteins. They're pretty long, and will be up in the wheel well. Not sure if my solution will work of EB width axles, but I can make you some hoops if you want to try it.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotcha, that should make a difference. Sounds like a good plan.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Looks good Chris. But where are the flex pix?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Waiting on shocks and still need to weld stuff up ;)

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fabbing up my tunnel cover to cover up the holes cut into the floor board for the ZF-5 and transfer case.

got to use my shears! first time in 5 years...

next up is to cut out the shift areas and make the bends. Next I will take it to Line-x to see if they will shoot it to match the floor in the bronco..

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

got the floor patch in with the shift boots, works pretty good but will be taking the floor piece into line x to match the floor and help the heat and noise.

On the lookout for a bigger shift boot, will have to keep my eye out at the boneyard

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet, that looks great! Too bad it needs Line-X, it's kinda pretty.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the tunnel cover done.. like the way it turned out!

I might paint the screws eventually but kind of like the "rivet" look

It will look like the rest of the floor very soon :)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, good thing it's going to dusty Moab to make it match! Looks great. Nice piece there!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Opps.. too much fun in Moab ;)

Seems like the ZF changed the angle of the engine just enough to grab my fan shroud and eat the radiator..

Luck was with me as I found used radiator out of a 60s or 70s AMC (Maybe from a jeep wagoneer or something?) in the parts pile of a 4x4 shop in town, only radiator they had and unbelievable I got it to fit - bonus that the bronco mounts even worked. Made the repair on the trail and continued on - Matter of fact I ran Poison spider the next day...

I will have to take a picture next week when I pull it to put a new one in but its been patched twice (2 holes in it), it will be going on the garage wall as a "spare" :)

I will have to see if others have pictures of the actual carnage as someone took the fan to use as art...

anyway just ordered a new replacement from Summit and will be running a smaller spacer and clutch fan from now on...

Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tell us that happened on carnage!

Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

just the fan and radiator.. ordered a new radiator today from Summit should be here by Friday :)

Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So a quick update. Turned out the radiator was from Summit and cost $159 - shipped.. so replaced it with the exact same one.

While i had it out I took advantage of the extra space did some belt tightening, fixed my power steering lines running them slightly better and then installed a clutch fan that I have had hanging on the wall for about a year thanks to Zoso. So far so good, now I have to make a fan shroud which shouldn't' be too hard.

Heres the radiator I used - Jeremy and I found it besides a 4x4 shop in Moab.. its out of a 87 CJ-7

New radiator in...

Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

*cool* (tongue in cheek)

Thu May 15, 2014 12:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On Track has some DIY shroud pieces on the shelf, I didn't check prices, but nice to have a local source.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I didn't know that. What pieces do they have? I've been contemplating making my own.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool will run over there and check them out. Was going to pick up some aluminum and have it tig welded

Thu May 15, 2014 11:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think they have most of the pieces for a simple shroud.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next