[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - The fabrication thread
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The fabrication thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post The fabrication thread
Owning a Bronco has led to a fascination with metal fabrication. I know I'm not the only one out there, and am curious to see some of the creations. Post'em up! What have you built?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: The fabrication thread
These exhaust rings were my design, but I had to farm out the machine work:

I hate to post these hitch covers, as I planned to sell them for the bronco fund. Then got ordered to go out of the country, but I am pretty proud of them nonetheless.

Here's my ugly welding cart:

Silderz

Rear bumper/tire carrier:

soft doors:

toolbox tie-down:

Trailer tie-downs:

Front bumper from what was nearly just a piece of 2x6 with tapered ends:

to this:

What fun it is!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What takes up most my time. Designed built and raced by our team.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That thing is cool, looks like a ton of fun. What class/series does it race in?

JD, where did you get the spring loaded pin you used on your tire carrier? How do you like that setup?

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, that buggy looks like lots of fun!

Got the spring loaded pin off Mcmaster.com. I could find it again if you have trouble. There is another near the hinge to keep the tire from swinging past 90*. It works good, but other people have opened it up not knowing about that and sheared off the pin.

The pin you asked about is there as a double safety in case the latch fails. I don't like it. Wobbles around too much. Maybe I could incorporate some sort of rubber stop and it would help, but I think there are better designs.

Forgot about another one. A track bar riser/ram mount:

And new track bar bracket on the frame:

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is an example of 76fordbronco's welding skills. Turning big ones and little ones into medium ones.
Bronco 022.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's some great work!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've had an oxy-acetylene torch for awhile, but have only used it to heat steel for bending. Broke out the cutting torch for it tonight, which I've never used before. This is a pic of the second cut I made in a piece of 3/8" thick plate for a small press brake I'm building out of scrap. Pretty happy with it as a first-timer, always glad to have a new fab skill in the arsenal even if it is a pretty basic one. My wife was pleased that the house did not explode.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's a clean cut for a torch! Nice job!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You must of had that sucker dialed in, every time I cut with my torch I regret it

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:25 am

just a few of my radius arms.

And the skidplate/cross member

and the dinosaur that welded up the radius arms.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rob, that's cool! I love those old Lincoln tombstones. Stick welding is on my list of things to learn. Played with the torch a little more and recut the end I did last night. My skills are improving. Will post up the completed press brake when I get it done.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Took a break from the Bronco to finish the stand for my bench grinder. Its a WRX flywheel welded to a 9" axle with a piece of scrap plate on top. Stoked with how it came out.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Love the drilled supports!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those are go-fast holes! Nice work Justin.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I loving all the cool stuff people are making. I'm still early in my build, so not much to show, but things are coming...

I made this today. It's a proof-of-concept for my accessory switch panel I'm making to match my VHX gauge cluster. Ignore the paint, the primer started blowing chunks I didn't bother fixing it.

Roughing out an idea:

I drew some indicators I liked and had them printed up:

Picked out some switches to match in the knobs in the Bronco and edge lit indicator panel. Red rings on the push buttons indicate an "ARMED" condition.

Screen shot of my CAD model for the final version. Includes PowerPole and Cig lighter outlets:

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Digger, Wow is that cool! Peter

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2, very slick!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

way cool Digger!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Digger those are really cool.

Would you be willing to make / sell extras ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be interested in a set too.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On my scrapyard runs I've been picking up pieces of metal for a welding/fabrication table. While I'm waiting to see if Battlement is actually getting their act together I decided to get it built. Finally got the frame finished tonight. Just need to paint it and cut the 1/4" steel top sheet to fit and it'll be done. Looking forward to finally having a flat surface that won't catch fire to build things on. Gunni, the first thing getting welded on this is your rear shock hoops. I've been playing with the design and I think the final version is really, really cool.

Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I built this trellis for my mom on Saturday. She had this old bed head board and foot board and was hoping my dad could screw them together. Instead I cut and welded them, then added the stakes so they would not have to bolt it to posts.

She loved it, dad did too, mostly because it saved him a bunch of work

Now the fam and I are off to the lake for a day on the boat and Memorial Day pic-nic. And just so you all know I have not been just resting on my laurels this weekend, I replaced the tilt switch and ignition switch and re-wired the dash as well as rebuilt the control on the boat yesterday. So today is a shake down run of sorts I suppose.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon May 26, 2014 9:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Figured I'd revive this thread. Took a short break from the Bronco to fab up some shock hoops for a member here. Pretty happy with how they came out. I tried a different method for capping the tube ends that results in a stronger weld and better appearance. I've got most of the materials on hand to make more if anyone is interested.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those look great Justin! I always envision my projecting coming out that nice, but it takes a fair bit of artistic ability, which I severely lack.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next