[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Warmer Weather Woes
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Warmer Weather Woes 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Warmer Weather Woes
I was driving my Bronco around this afternoon running errands--about 15 miles total--and after my last errand my Bronco would not stay started. After investigating a little it was evident that my high pressure fuel pump was running, but the low pressure pump was not. Engine temp was at about 210. All the wiring was intact. After waiting about 30 - 45 minutes the low pressure pump kicked back on and everything was fine; I was able to get home. I have a Carter low pressure pump. Has anyone seen this or experienced this before?

This is the first summer I've been running my Bronco since completing the EFI conversion last summer. Another thing I noticed is it seems my gas tank is building up a lot of pressure, particularly when it's hot outside. Got gas today (that was my last errand) and when taking the gas cap off it made a pretty significant "HSSSSSS". Venting issue?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Warmer Weather Woes
I don't think the gas tank venting would cause the pump to shut off. But I'd make sure the tanks are vented right. Mine weren't after installing my new high capacity tank. I didn't have any fuel problems, but had significant pressure/vacuum build up- after driving long distances, high temps, transferring fuel from my aux tank to my main. I ran simple (not EPA compliant in any way) vents to each tank just to eliminate the potential problems. The stock gas caps do some venting, but not nearly enough.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My guess is the pump relay. I had/have one that cuts out if it gets wet. Took me a long time to figure that one out. Maybe find yours and try to relocate it away from the heat source. Oddly enough, that relay also likes to be mounted in a vertical position. If it's laying on it's side it will cut out when hot too.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the pressure might be building up and killing the low pressure pump.. or the low pressure pump might be on its way out.. either way you need to fix the venting as its not doing your pumps any good fighting the pressure I would think.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not to hijack but what is the best way to vent your tank. I have a vented cap but can here it hiss after driving. Aftermarket 23 gallon.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think this is the easiest way:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /prd98.htm

'T' it into the tank, and mount the vent higher than the fuel filler.

You'll smell gas when the tank is full & weather is hot, or if its parked in a garage. If you don't want to smell fuel, you must route it through a charcoal cannister. Someone else can elaborate on that.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Christian, it does sound like a venting problem. If it happens again pull the cap off and see if it runs good afterwards.

Bobby, I like the venting system on the '70 and later Broncos. '76-'77 had a simpler version that works well. Pre '70 Broncos won't have vent tubes in the stock tanks.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, Viper, do you think the venting issue and problem with the low pressure fuel pump are related?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]