[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - tubing bender should have listened
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 tubing bender should have listened 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post tubing bender should have listened
So I bought the cheap ass affordable bender and it's well cheap. Not conducive to real world bending. 1st anyone have a good one for sale? What kind do you have? Pros cons? I've used a pro tools 105 and liked it.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: tubing bender should have listened
I have had a JD2 Model 3 for about 10 years now. It has served me well, but I have made some observations over the years:

- Get the hydraulics. Mine started out as a manual unit due to my college-level budget. Besides the fact that you are doing all the work AND having to bolt it to floor, you must now leave room to swing a big lever AND you cannot accurately watch the degree dial while bending.

- Back in the day, JD2 never listed a Maximum wall thickness, only a minimum on their dies. Since that Model 32 came out, this is now stated. I found out last week that 0.25" wall DOM is past the limit of the Model 3 dies.

- The Model 3 is a good bender, but it is not a production unit and requires a skilled operator and lots of setup time to do accurate bends. This is probably true of most benders of this class. Like sheet metal bending, every size, wall thickness, and material combo has different spring back, and it should be documented to avoid wasting tube.

- Even though the Model 3 is a "hobby" grade bender, you better open your wallet wide and be serious if want to bend tube. With several grand invested in mine, it is my 2nd most expensive tool in the garage and I tend to treat it with "gloved hands."

- If I did it over today, I would pony up the extra cash for the Model 32 in order to bend the larger, thicker tubing.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is a model 32 on cl for 700 with one die seems high for a used bender?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Unless it has hydraulics, that is new bender pricing.

ETA: I just found the ad. I would pass. It does not look well cared for.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I told him it was 400 to 450 for a used bender price pretty regularly but he said the least he would take is 600. Maybe some other people emailing him will make him realize you can't sell a used bender for almost retail

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been looking for a bender also. I like the JD 4 model so far.
I know I wont consider a manual one.

But I have considered the more expensive model 54.

I probably won't decide until I try them at Fab Tech.

Good thread....I need to learn more....

J.E.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm a big fan of the JMR benders, although they are a bit more $$ than some others, they are very nice. I have the JMR1000 electric hydraulic and love it. I didn't start with this bender, but I wish I would have. I began with a Race Car bender, then on to a Pro-Tools 105, the the JMR.

A couple points:

1. Figure out which size dies you're gonna need and get the 220 degree versions. The smaller dies will not do full 180 degree bends and you'll wish you could sooner, rather than later.
2. Get the JMR dies, they will fit in the Pro-Tools (IIRC, maybe they fit in the JD2 instead. Either way, better dies). JMR dies are stronger since they're through hardened instead of surface hardened.
3. If you can find an old-school Hotckiss bender, get it.
4. Get tight radius dies. There's a lot of wasted space with big radius bends and they look goofy.
5. Design a good cage and 1.75" OD is about all you need. Seriously, think triangulation. The entire chassis on my buggy weighs about the same as a stock EB frame.
6. Hydraulic is the way to go, if for no other reason than it sucks to lose the garage space where the manual bender is bolted down.
7. Understand the difference in strength between DOM and EWS. DOM provides @10% more strength, for 3x the $$. 1.75" .125 wall EWS is pretty comparable to .120 wall DOM.

I do not loan my stuff out, but I have no issues with guys coming over to use stuff. When I'm not otherwise engaged.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]