[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - C4 install woes
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 C4 install woes 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post C4 install woes
I'm still in the process of trying to convert the yellow 72 (Terrible One) over to automatic and things are not going right.

Here's a list of parts I am working with.
1974 Bronco C4
1976 164 tooth, 28oz imbalance flex plate (from 76FordBronco)
1976 automatic starter
1974 Bronco engine plate/starter plate

After bolting everything up to the back of the block and flex plate, the crank is nearly impossible to turn over. I am lead to believe this is a possible indication that the either torque converter or input shaft have become unseated. When the bellhousing bolts are loosened 1-2 turns, or 1/8th-1/4 inch, the crank can then again be turned by hand with a breaker bar.

Second issue has to do with the starter. It simply will not bolt up. Now, I understand this is a moot point considering the first issue. However, the first problem should not have any bearing on the second, so as long as I am here, I'd like to know what's up. I can get only one bolt in, either top or bottom, but cannot bolt both up. When either bolt is snugged down even the slightest, this creates obvious pressure on the flex plate and prevents the engine from being turned over by hand. Additionally, I am seeing signs of wear on the gear housing of the starter from where the teeth on the flexplate are rubbing against it.

Any thoughts of ideas for how to remedy one of both of these issues?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: C4 install woes
How about some pics of the parts. Sounds like converter may not be all the way in. When it is the flats on the converter studs will be about 1 inch into the bell.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pics would be kind of boring at this point as everything is still kinda sorta in the truck. But, if there is anything in particular you'd like to see, lemme know.

I plan to pick up a transmission jack tomorrow, pull the whole damn contraption back out, shove that converter in as far as possible, and then give it another go. I'll be sure to give the teeth on the pump a good looking over to see if any have been damaged during the first attempt at bolting up. For now, I am done for the day as my extra set of hands has left the house.

I couldn't tell you how far the flats were in before but there was very little left-right wiggle in the converter.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And thanks guys. I'd really hoped to have had this done before surgery so I could be driving it by now. I guess in my haste I might have knocked the converter loose a bit while trying to bolt everything up before.

The Terrible One

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Def sounds as if the TC is not seated all the way. Not to doubt, but make sure you're rotating it as you push it in so it's gonna allow the teeth to seat and fall into the pump gear. Hopefully it's not messed up from the current install.

If you need a hand I'm busy as H#$% till t he 17th, but then have a couple weeks off.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If the pump teeth are crap I'll just consider it the cost of failing to check twice.

I'm back to work on the 14th. If I haven't wrapped this up by the 9th I'll probably just push it off to the side until I'm healed up.

The Terrible One

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I forgot I did actually take a few pictures today.

The Terrible One

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you remove the pilot bearing in the back of the crank? I have made this oops before.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Which is easier to find? Pump gear or entire pump?

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Crap!

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Converter is seated now. I don't know if the previously shown damage is enough to completely sideline the truck. But I'm willing to see if it will fire up and move after reassembly. I'm versed enough in install and removal that later this year I will pull everything apart and replace those parts I think might be damage.

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Word. Danke.

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, to sum up how we (75DBE Jr and I) went about getting it seated...

After talking with Kirk on the phone and bouncing ideas off one another, we followed some Kirk advice. We pulled the TC and used a permanent wax type marker to coat the splines of the outer shaft and input shaft. The idea to confirm that the pump was simply not inserting fully. After the first test fit, we confirmed ~ 1/2" of splines not engaging on the input shaft. We then removed the TC again, inserted the input shaft into it fully, just to make sure it would completely insert. It did. Finally, we removed the input shaft from the TC and set it to the side, installed the TC onto the outer splines on the transmission shaft and fully seated it into the pump. After confirming it was indeed possible, it was simply a matter of trying one more time and this time shoving on the torque converter like we meant it. Problem solved.

The Terrible One

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Or you could go by feel. Converter catches splines of stator, then input shaft engages converter, then hub seats in pump gear. In the end the flat should be 1" into the bell.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:10 am

I'll confirm today with my Grandpa but I believe it was sil-terhar ford.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 am

Yes I did confirm today. Trans was rebuilt by sil-terhar ford with a lifetime warranty. After 6 years or so it began to crap out again so my grandpa took it back in. They were not happy to see it in there and try to deny the warranty. So they "Fixed" it under warranty. And thats where it's at. How the damage happened we are unsure. We installed the 351 and when that happened my uncle did the same as Zach. Didnt seat the converter all the way. Pulled the motor to reseat the converter. Got about 4k miles on it when it started to have shifting issues. Would "hang on a shift and flair". Pulled the valve body to find the valves were "sticky". So repolished them and off we go. All worked well for about 100 miles. We were up campin/wheelin. We stopped to collect fire wood. When we jumped back in the bronco thats when the trans crapped out. It still moved but made a bad grinding noise. We drove it like that about a mile back to camp and towed it home. Pulled it and replaced it. Thats where we are at now.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't see anything that was put together wrong. Looks like the bearing might have come apart and took out the gears.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anyone know of a local place where I can buy a transmission shift lever bushing? This would be the rubber/plastic bushing that slides into the shift lever on the lower portion of the column and the shift rod to the transmission fits into it.

The Terrible One

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One of the EB vendors carries them if you can wait a few days or I have a shift link with one on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Order two from WH last night. Was hoping for a test drive today.

Afraid once they come out of the shift link on the column they are near impossible to reuse.

The Terrible One

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next