[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Clicking sound after overheating
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Clicking sound after overheating 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Clicking sound after overheating
Had some issues trying to drive the Bronco to Boulder today. Started to overheat a little bit and then I started to really lose power and then eventually as I pulled off the road, the truck shut off. It had built up enough pressure and heat the overflow tank for the radiator was boiling.

I let it cool down and re-started it to the engine sounding pretty bad. It was clicking and running pretty rough. It also appears my engine oil pressure has dropped drastically. I'm having it towed back to my house but thought if see if anyone had an idea of what is going on?!

Just when I think I've got this thing running reliably enough to take a short little day trip with it, it let's me down AGAIN! I'm a little pissed off seeing how I just have 532 miles on a newly rebuilt 351W.

Help!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Clicking sound after overheating
Did you pull the oil dip stick? What color is the oil?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok- I feel a little foolish here but I changed the oil this morning after the 500 mile break in. I put in 6 quarts and it was full. I now have no oil and it looks as though it leaked it all out.

The only place I could think it would do that is the oil filter but it screwed on with ease and I tightened it with a tool fairly tight. It didn't feel as though it cross thread or anything so I'm not sure how it all leaked.

Any ideas? Should I try a new filter and put new oil in and try to fire it up again?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would crawl under it to look for signs as to how the oil escaped.

Did the drain plug vibrate loose ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine blew the front seal of the oil pan. The fan spread oil from bow to stern. It looked like a crime scene made of oil and antifreeze.

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have the old filter laying around check to see if the rubber gasket is still on it sometimes they will stick to the filter housing.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

[quote="Eck"

Any ideas? Should I try a new filter and put new oil in and try to fire it up again?[/quote]

You really don't have any other choice.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2. That sucks. I suspect that 427 is right. The filter gasket sometimes sticks to the block when you remove it, so you wind up with 2 gaskets and a leak between them. You might pull the filter and check.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bingo. Gasket was stuck. Pulled it- reattached the filter- filled with oil and truck started and built up oil pressure.

However- it sounds better than it did with no oil- it still has a little bit of a knocking/clicking sound that it didn't have before. I did not run it very long so I'm not sure if it will go away.

Any thoughts? Did I do some irreversible damage?

Unbelievable I damn sticking gasket could cause me this many issues today.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Use a stethoscope, put it above each cylinder. You could have roasted a lifter or something.

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had that happen once on my dodge 2500. It dumped almost 3 gallons of oil on my garage floor in less than 60 seconds. It was Easter Sunday. Thank goodness Walmart was open so I could get like 5 bags of kitty litter. What a mess.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You may want to make sure your oil level is still correct and run it at about 1500- 1800RPM when you lost oil pressure the lifters may have partially collapsed. Running it at RPM for a couple of minute may pump them up again.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would run it (low RPM) check to see if oil and water are mixing. Like cpldavis37 say's use a stethoscope or a 2 to 3 foot piece of pipe and listen around your heads exhaust man. intake. etc. try and determine if noise is on top or bottom of the motor. Depending on how hot it got it could be a bad gasket.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is where I sit as of this morning.

I ran it at low RPM to see if I could continue priming the oil through the engine. It idles no problem now. However-- I took it around the block and as soon as I drive in gear (any gear)- the clicking sound is there. It doesn't really sound like it is there at higher RPM's when in neutral, just when it is driving in gear.

So I am not sure what to do next other than take it to a shop to have it checked out. Does anyone have an honest mechanic (preferably close to North Denver/Wheat Ridge area) they could recommend? With having so few miles on this engine, I would really hate to do any more expensive damage.

I would also welcome anyone with engine experience to come by and take a listen. I could just be over reacting?!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My advice is to drain the oil and look for metal.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It could be a bearing. Go get an automotive stethoscope. When the engine is running listen all around the engine. Focus on the bearings and lifters. If the sound comes from the top I would think lifter problem. If it comes from the bottom I would think bearing. Does the sound get faster as you rev higher or is it constant?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Drained the oil and after pouring most of it off- their was some speckles in the pan.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well you know there's a major problem. It doesn't really help to track it down any further. It has to come out and be taken apart anyway. Probably cam got wiped.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So just by looking at those specks-- the engine needs to come out and torn apart? No chance that its still clearing itself out from being a new rebuild? No chance the zinc treatment we put in the first oil is showing up?

I am about to put this thing in neutral and let it drive off a cliff. I cannot believe that a stuck oil filter seal would cause this much damage!!! It never got over temperature of 200 and the oil pressure was still registering around 20 or so. I thought I was actually being responsible by calling a tow truck.

I can't win with this thing...

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by Rox Crusher on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, what kind of repair are we thinking here? Best case: new cam, bearings and lifters?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Like viper said take it apart & most likely plan on a new cam lifters and bearing set. If you get lucky the damage stops there. worst would be damaged crank rods & new cam bearings ,but you wont know until you get eyes on the crank & rod bearings. Best of luck hope it's to the small side.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not to start pointing at things to buy just yet, but there is a guy in the springs selling a new cam and lifters for 100.00. So, plan for that to be your bottom end price and go up from there.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4555198838.html

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Had an old work van that did that. Lost a hose and pumped all the oil out. Caught it when it was happening but was empty. fixed the hose and put some oil in it. No noises. got about 200 miles on it and once it had a load climbing a hill the damage was done. Spun a rod bearing.

I'd just pull it and take it apart. if there is no major damage to the hard parts you can be back together for a few hundred. DONT just slap parts in it. Tear it down completely and take it to get the block boiled or clean it really well yourself. All those specks are all over in there and will kill the motor again.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm completely in-experienced when it comes to motors. I bought this one already rebuilt. I know what it takes to pull it and put it back in, but have no idea what it's gonna require to tear the engine down or what really needs to be done. I have seen the cam shaft and lifters for sale for between 105-200 so the parts don't seem terribly expensive but the time and labor sounds expensive...

Anybody care to dumb it down for me?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's not too bad to rebuild it. Just take it slow and put all the parts in order you take it out/off. There are a lot of books out there as well as a ton of knowledge I this group. I am sure that a bunch of us could help you along the way. I had to pretty much tear mine apart and put it all back together. We would help chip in and give you some help.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next