[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Clicking sound after overheating
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Clicking sound after overheating 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Clicking sound after overheating
I smoked my engine as well. Don't think of it as the end of the world. Think of it as a learning experience. I was happy when I blew my engine. It is giving me the chance to make some new friends and to learn my vehicle inside and out. Your Bronco is to awesome to drive off a cliff or give up on. I don't just own a Bronco because it is the coolest thing on or off road I own mine for the friendships and adventures that come with it. That includes blown engines.

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There isn't that much to tearing down an engine. As much as this sucks, if the block is still good the parts aren't hugely expensive. A complete rebuild kit is somewhere in the $300-350 range. A big part of the expense in rebuilding an engine is in the machine work for the block. I'm not particularly experienced with the internals of the engine, but am happy to help where I can. As cpldavis said, there are folks willing to help, and most of it can be done with basic hand tools and a good book. If you can read instructions and ask questions, you can rebuild an engine.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Does anyone recommend a particular book to get for rebuilding a 351W small block? There seem to be a few out there and I'm thinking of buying a couple just to cover my bases.

Although VERY frustrating that a simple oil change is flipping this dumb thing upside down- I appreciate the words of encouragement. I will take this as a learning experience and now hopefully have a better understanding of the internal components of an engine.

At least I got to drive it a little bit this summer... was hoping to put money elsewhere in the rig though.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe a tech day after the August breakfast? I dont know if you want to wait till 8/15, but they're usually well attended.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys! I'll probably post up something to try to get as much done in one day/weekend as I can.

Planning to get everything out and taken down. Will let you know.

Still looking for any good recommendations on books/resources.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If the rods look good you might get away with just the lower end bearing replacement ,cam and lifters. might be able to leave the heads on and not disturb the pistons. I would probably put a new set of cam bearings as well. All of this can be done in a afternoon once the engine is pulled. Might be able to help where are you located.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wheat Ridge over by Edgewater/Sloans Lake.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Haynes & Chiltons manuals will have the process & torque specs. There are probably better books, but all the info is in those.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

aintchya got it out yet ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just my personal opinion but I think it is WAAAAAAY easier to pull the trans with the engine... ok actually no but it is WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY -WAY easier to re-connect the trans with the engine out.

(not that I have had 3 different engines and 3 different transmissions and 2 different T-cases in Drew's bronco at lease 3 times each over the last 2 years....)

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What axle swap are you planning? Just the d44 front, or something more exotic?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You say this like there is some sort of question. Once the 351w is re-manlyfied it'll eat small bearing axles for lunch.

Really, if you're going to go to the expense of getting lockers and new axles, a big bearing housing isn't much more. That's the only thing that will need changing. Finding one will likely be a PITA, but they're not that expensive. It'll allow you to run SET20 bearings, which are a nice upgrade. I think I paid something like $150 for my complete rear axle. You'll love dual ARBs. Great street manners, and the ability to have control over when you're locked is nice.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Push it off a cliff? There was a brief moment in Moab where I thought you were going to back it off a cliff!

As much as this sucks, your going to have a lot more engine knowledge by the time you get done. If Kirks engine hoist is occupied, you can borrow mine. Maybe this will get me moving on my 5.8 roller build again. My power stroke crack habit is currently cutting into my bronco funds and time.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Built a work bench tonight. Ready to start rebuilding that engine.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ready for action. Books arrived this morning. Image

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet! Looking forward to progress pics.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Uh oh, I feel a stroker project being born

icon biggin

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have all the precision measuring tools when you get to that point if you want to borrow them. If we have it on a tech day then I could bring them down.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used the book one the right when I refurbed my motor. I thought it was very excellent.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Eck

I have an engine hoist and stand that you are more than welcome to borrow for however long. As I live a bit closer than Kirk, they are all yours if you need them.

I am at 32nd and Sheridan...pretty close to you!

With that being said, I am only in town Monday - Wednesday, so let me know if you want to pop by and grab them.

On the other note...if I am in town, definitely down to help with the labor. I'm sure most will chime in and let you know how bad I am at labor icon biggin !

Matt

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next