[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Body work/ pannel replacement
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Body work/ pannel replacement 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Body work/ pannel replacement
So despite my preference of fun parts, I have officially aknowledged the fact that my rust issue needs to be sorted out. I need to replace the upper/lower 1/4 pannels and door strikers and the rockers as well. For all you former body cancer victims, how ugly a process/ cost is this going to be? Not worried about flashy paint or anything as I have a 3 year old who is handy with a rattle can. Any help guidance is appreciated.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Body work/ pannel replacement
I replaced my quarter panel and door post in the driver side. It's not terribly expensive if you already have a welder.

Couple suggestions. Take lots of measurements beforehand. I know there is a reference out there that has the door measurements but I'd take them as well from your current rig.

Is yours a hard top? If so, leave the hard top on to help brace the windshield from dropping. If possible, use some tube steel to brace the top of the door opening so it won't fold in or out on you.

Where are you located? I'd be happy to come by and help with prep and measurements, and fab work.

I got my steel from TBP and was very impressed.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I do have a hard top, glad you said to leave it on... I expected to remove it. I don't have a welder but intended to buy one anyways. I'll surely hit you up for help when I get all my pieces as I've not done anything like this before but expect to do it a few times in the future.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm not sure how Eck did his quarter, but to attach the upper & lower quarter, consider panel bonding adhesive. Quick, strong, and no warping due to welding heat. Also, where the quarter panels meet the taillight/rear corner panels, it might be hard/impossible to make welds (I've never done a Bronco quarter, but we did a Scout 800 & ran into problems there)

To replace the upper quarter, you'll need to remove the top. Measure, measure, measure. Then add some temporary braces before you remove the top & quarters, to keep things where they belong.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be interested in observing/helping if/when you guys start this. I need to do the same and more to mine.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I lopped off my outer rockers and went back with 2x5 rectangular tubing. A stick built both rockers, several brackets and my rear bumper. My inners were okay though, surface rust but not the cancer I had on the outers. Had to trim the inners and clean them up to get to clean metal for welding. I did a bunch of patch repair too on the inner front quarters, kick panels, tailgate, rear quarters, etc. It is time consuming and mine isn't perfect but it was a fun challenge since I had no experience with body work. Dealing with the heat is the biggest challenge, to avoid warping things. Go in understanding that you'll probably end up chasing cancer further than you think unless you're going to replace entire panels - I certainly did.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This should help.

Measure before & during the repair. I'd even go so far as to remount the top & door with the new parts held in place with sheetmetal screws & vice grips. You only get one chance to get it right or wrong. Getting it wrong, and finding out after welding the panels on, will be difficult to fix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You are pretty much right. I'd put a bolt in behind each door. You are just checking fit/alignment/door gaps/etc.

edit: To be sure, put a couple bolts through the windshield to the top & into the rear posts. It doesn't need to be bolted down & road worthy, but it has to be "in place".

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Starting to think this is gonna be work

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its a project you want someone with some experience in on. Wish I was closer, I'd love to help out.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post up when you've got tools and parts in hand. I'm happy to help.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]