[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Fuel Injection
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Fuel Injection 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fuel Injection
Hey all,

I want to put fuel injection on my '69. I have been told that the fuel injection system off of a '97 Explorer works well. I am also looking at the MSD Atomic EFI system. Has anyone had any experience with the Atomic system?
I welcome everybody's thoughts.
Thanks

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Fuel Injection
I don't know anyone in the club running the MSD EFI, but there are lots of us running Mustang & Explorer stuff. We are lucky enough to have some certified Ford EFI experts in the club.

The Explorer stuff is the 'best' way to go right now, but I can say I love my Mustang EFI. I'd do Explorer stuff if I could do it over again.

EFIGuy is a member here, you can read up on his conversion info here, most all the info on necessary parts is included. 97 is not the only year that will work, but we happen to be building our club truck "Project 33x2" with a 97 Explorer motor, trans & EFI:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=224697

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

My ears were ringing but it looks like Chad got ya covered. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the Explorer setup, but I won't be much help with the MSD stuff as I've never played with it.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. Question for all; what other systems work well? I know it's alot to ask EFI guy, but could you possibly spell out and list everything I would need to procure for the Ford setup? I still need to pick the brains of the MSD EFI people and get more info. I no nothing about installing an EFI system. My Bronco is a '69, 302 C4 automatic with headers. I'm ready to start the educational adventure and get the fuel injection system installed.

Jeff

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There was a site called oldfuelinjection.com that has been shut down. I think if you search for it, it's been archived on a couple sites.

If you look at the last post here:
viewtopic.php?t=6074

...some of the info from that site.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

I usually recommend finding a wrecked Explorer donor and taking the entire engine / trans (if you want O/D) with EFI all at once. It's one stop shopping and you get upgrades like the roller block and GT40 heads.

Several people have pieced it all together from the local UPAP for $400-$500 ish.

Putting it on an older motor requires swapping the front end accessory drive. Timing cover, water pump, alternator, P/S pump and balancer. (A/C is optional). These are all huge upgrades compared to stock, however the balancer must be re-balanced if using it on an older motor. Damper dudes offers that service.

Once the front end is squared away you need the EFI goodies...

Upper and lower intakes, injectors, coil packs, fuel rail, fuel pump, throttle body, crank sensor, cam sensor, o2 sensors, ect sensor, maf sesnor, iat sensor (depending on year, it may be part of the maf). And of course the PCM and harness.

If you want the O/D trans the list gets a little longer.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow! That seems like the Ford EFI is pretty involved. I will need to do more research for other options before diving into the Ford setup. Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

First question is if you have a good motor. My Bronco had a newly rebuilt motor that I did not want to change - just eliminate the carb. I was looking at the other readily available options to add EFI to a great base motor like the MSD Atomic, Chevy TBI, FAST EZ, etc. that utilize the motor you already have eliminating the need for adapters, transmissions, etc. and making the process much faster.

With any system, you also have to address the fuel tank and fuel pump. The MSD fuel reservoir add-on is worth a look as it eliminates the need to change the fuel tank and fuel pump - making the install even faster. Wild Horses carries the whole MSD Line. ZOSO I a great resource for the add-on systems as he has done multiple add-on systems in the club.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jtsbronc is running the stock engine and front accessories. He's has not had any issues with it. Pulling some EGR codes and that's about it.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:27 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Mustang EFI doesn't require the front end swap that Explorer EFI requires. The EFI goodie list is the same except change "crank sensor, cam sensor, and coil packs" to "TFI module, distributor, and ignition coil".

I may start offering an OBD2 option that uses a distributor soon for the people that don't want to swap the dress. But the PCMs are really hard to find since they are from California vehicles only.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fuel Injection
I would add mustang computers are getting harder to find as well. I have a mustang with explorer intake and serpentine with a 28oz balancer and it's been fantastic. If I had to do it over I would use the explorer setup as everything pretty much comes from an exploder and much easier to replace since every parts house has replacements. This is something I would think about with aftermarket efi systems. Your pretty much locked into their ecosystem and rely on finding a replacement part down the road.

I get nervous on my other bronco which has an older Holley commander mpfi system. The injectors, computer and more are specific to this setup and only sold by Holley. Just something to keep in mind

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am also considering keeping my carb. I am running an Edlebrock 4 barrel. I believe I am pretty good on the jetting down here in town, but around 10K, I have no power. Has anyone ever worked with The Carb Shop in Englewood? Maybe my issue is just an out-of-tune carb.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With someone who drives their rig around town on the week days, and then plays with it in the mountains on the weekends, you might never be satisfied with a carb. I think you'd be happier all around with EFI. Well except for the hit to the wallet and the research time, but it is well worth it!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I run an Edelbrock carb as well. It's tuned with an onboard AFR meter, so I'm confident that it's pretty well tuned overall. I've had it up over 13k feet and it runs OK, but the rig is getting EFI. I don't like dealing with it bogging over very rough terrain or dying when I'm climbing a steep rock. I'm planning to go with Explorer EFI so that I've got easy access to parts and knowledge.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a feeling he will before the bronco backs out of the garage :)

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

...sometime in 2022. I intentionally got rid of the 351w craigslist app searches to prevent exaxtly that.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]