[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - D 90 suspension
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 D 90 suspension 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post D 90 suspension
I've gathered all the parts to do a defender style rear suspension change. Being as they're few new ideas I was wondering if anyone out there has done this. Before I fully commit looking for pros & cons. Also any problem areas to the project if any one has already done this. Thanks for the input.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: D 90 suspension
Looks like the D90s run a pair of radius arms and a panhard bar, essentially identical to the front of an EB. It's an unusual setup for the rear a rig, in part because you've got enough room in the rear for a higher performing suspension setup. The main appeal of radius arms in the front is that you don't have to deal with fitting in additional links around the engine, exhaust, etc. It's not a bad way to go, but a 4 link or a 3 link with a panhard bar will likely perform better. You've got more control over how the axle moves through the arc of it's travel, and have control over things like anti-squat, roll axis and roll center since you can locate multiple links to work together. It's more complicated to engineer, but the end result is better performance. A rear radius arm will likely wind up with very high anti-squat numbers, causing the axle to want to walk under the truck under bind. The end result can be lots of wheel hop. The other issue is significant pinion angle change in long travel applications. Both can be partially combated with very long arms, but you're still left with a solution that's likely not going to work as well as one of the more common setups. If some or all of this is greek, take a look over this: http://hstrial-4wheelundergr.homestead. ... n-411.html

Ultimately whether it's a good idea comes down to your planned use. If it's going to be a short to mid-travel street/trail rig this would be a relatively easy way to improve the ride and potentially improve performance some. It'd also be novel as heck, and I'd love to see it done. If it's going to be a hardcore wheeler, then it's an interesting plan that may or may not work very well. What's the draw of the D90 suspension, and are you using actual D90 parts?

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was only planning on doing the rear suspension. So it would basically be much like a three link. no pan hard rod on the rear. My experience with the Rover rear suspension has been good as for their front it's terrible no articulation to speak of. I'm just looking for some good road manners and some good off road manners. Not looking to go crazy on the rock crawler side of things. Love the input things to think about.
Thanks

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The only issue I know is the balljoint on top of the axle for the upper wish bone wears out and clunks, they drive ok, I used to be a rover tech for years. If you're planning on running some lift and wheeling it mildly to hard talk to Matt Peterson at Rockware here in Colorado Springs, he used to build heavy duty bent for clearance lower links

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Funny I own and operate a Indy Rover & BMW repair shop. worked at the dealer for years. I was going to use modified RTE lower arms but I should give Matt a call he did a couple of custom Bronco suspension jobs a number of years ago. maybe get his take on it too. wich Rover shop did you wrk for.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post D 90 suspension
I worked for Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers here in the springs for a little over a year until he got so slow he had no work for me ( he closed the doors not too long after, then I worked at Red Noland Jaguar/ Land Rover for a couple years until I finally got burnt out on the dealership scene, and mostly tired of flat rate in this town.
What's the name of your shop? Where are you located?

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My shop is in Evergreen M.I.T. automotive I didn't know that Eric shut the doors. As far as four link V's three I think it's maybe a little easier to fan up. I'm a little concerned about exhaust routing for clearance issues. I'm going to do the front extended arms first. I'll try to take pics as I set it up hopefully it will all work out

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What suspension setup do you have now? There are lots of ways to free up the suspension. Getting good springs and shocks really go a long way. Generally people modify their suspension only because they are deviating far from the norm. As in rock crawling, desert racing, or drag racing. Just thinking out lout a bit that you might be just as happy with high quality stock replacement parts without the effort.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The truck is sitting on a 3.5" Duff system it performs OK but I know I can make it perform way better both on and off road. Not afraid of some fab work to get the overall gains that I think I can get. I also will be able to gain between 1-4" in wheel base with relocating the rear axle.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya I think it was like a year and a half ago that he shut down, he changed his cell and I can't get ahold of him, I still talk to Chris from time to time, he started his own shop. Anyways I'm excited to see how this pans out, the d90 suspension should be interesting, it's one of the best oem suspensions out there for the rear of a solid axle truck. I plan to build/ design a four link for mine as I'm not concerned with using oem type parts and I want the best performance possible

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]