[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Alternator voltage drops
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Alternator voltage drops 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Alternator voltage drops
I have been noticing that my alternator in the 69 hasn’t been pulling enough voltage when I have the headlights and heater blower on High. I think this has always been the case since since owning the 69 but honestly don’t remember last winter - had enough other issues at the time.

My initial thought was to add a smaller pulley - knowing that will make a difference at lower RPM, however with the heater on High and the headlights on it doesn't really matter what RPM I run. The voltage drops below 14v and sometimes even below 13 volts regardless.

Since I will be adding a control panel and a bunch of lights soon I figured it was time to trouble shoot the alternator. I know its a high power aftermarket job - but don’t know what amperage its supposed to put out assumming 120 or 150 - i need to dig out the paperwork.

In any case is there anything else i can check that would be killing the voltage? It seems to only happen with the heater on high - I did remove the stock heater controls and replaced it with a three way switch - could this causing a excess voltage draw?

I haven’t tried the winch, it would be the next big thing to draw power…

Thoughts?

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Alternator voltage drops
I understand your resistance, but have you tried turning down your Taylor Swift?

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Sounds like the voltage regulator is crapping out. What size is the power cable coming off the alternator?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Make sure you actually have a problem. The wiring, including the new aftermarket stuff, is thin. Your alternator may be putting out the proper voltage (at the alternator), but if your voltage is being measured back under the dash, you could be losing 0.5V - 1.5V along the way.

Voltage drop over a length of wire is proportional to the amperage flowing through it.

Voltage Drop = Amperage x Wire resistance

To determine, have someone hold the engine at 1200-1400 rpm. Measure the voltage at the dash(use the cig lighter outlet), and at the alternator. Then turn on your headlights and blower motor. Remeasure the dash and alternator voltages. I bet your see greater drop at the dash.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, what he said ^^^^. I converted my pickup truck from the stock 2g fire hazard alternator to a 3g and my gauge on the dash didn't show any improvement, it still drops in the "normal" zone more than I thought it should. So I checked it at the battery and at the dash. Battery showed a nice even 14.2 volts regardless of loads and the dash read closer to 13.4 volts. Make sure you actually have a problem before you start creating one!

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's a perfect description of what happens to voltage when a belt slips. Startup drains the battery so you get a big load on the alternator as soon as it starts running. The load causes the belt to slip and the voltage to drop.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:30 am

Does the voltage come back up once you get driving with the lights and blower motor on? With just swapping to the chevy blower motor in my bronco when you turn that sucker on the lights dim pretty good. But once the rpm come off idle they brighten up and the blower speeds up.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is the wiring harness new or original ?

Do you have the head light relay harness on it ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Alternator voltage drops

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found the paper work for the 1 wire alternator that the PO put in. Turns out it is a 95 amp aftermarket alternator however the specs say it doesn't turn on until 1200 RPM which would account for no charge until i rev the engine.

The stat sheet doesn't list anything below 1600 RPM and at that point its putting out 44 Amps - supposedly. I would suspect at Idle (600RPM) it can barely keep up with lights, heater, stereo etc.. and causing it to drop below 14v and causing all my lights to pulse and dim.

One thing of note that I had forgotten - i did replace the heater controls with a 3 way switch last last October. Not sure what kind of current that switch is supposed to see but I was in a pinch to fix it and found one at radio shack and stuck it in to have a heater. Iam ok with leaving the switch in there but I am suspecting I might need a high amp switch to handle the heater better? Might be part of my problem?

Here are some of the tests I did:

Battery has 12.7v unhooked
Headlights off, heater off I am getting 14.55v at the battery after i rev the engine to kick on the alternator - at idle
Headlights on, heater off iam getting 14.45v at the battery at idle
Headlights on, heater on low iam getting 14.35v at the battery at idle
headlights on, heater on high iam getting 12.75 - 14v at the battery at idle - lights dim and brighten, engine rpms are unsteady.

I have ordered a new 200 amp one wire Alternator as iam about to add a bunch more stuff to the electrical system and want to cover my bases - talked about adding a 2nd battery but that would mean moving both somwhere to the rear, not sure iam ready for that quite yet. I understand that I might have a rough time with one vbelt and trying to get it to stop slipping, but will try a smaller belt and do what I can to make it work.

iam also wondering if I should just stick a new heater control switch back into the dash as well. Thoughts?

I

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like i found my answer ;) Need to make sure i have a continuous 20amp rated switch...

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=39

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]