[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Dana 20 Rebuild with Twin Stick
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Dana 20 Rebuild with Twin Stick 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Dana 20 Rebuild with Twin Stick
So I have spent the last 3 days reading everything I possibly can on the rebuild and twin sticking of the Dana 20. I feel like I have a fairly good understanding of the process and am about 60% confident I could put this thing back together correctly. Where I am a little bit unsure is when it comes to sealing everything properly, shim spacing vs. preload, and how the Advanced Adapter/Twin Stick/Dana 20 rebuild kit all work together.

If there is someone that would be willing to assist me or help me go through it, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there is anyone that would like to participate or go through it as well, I would be happy to host a mini tech day. I just want to make sure it is done right the first time while it and the transmission are out from under the Bronco.

Thanks for considering someone a little less fortunate in Dana20 knowledge this holiday season!

Eck

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Dana 20 Rebuild with Twin Stick
I have no idea what I'm doing, but own a press and need to do my spare tcase at some point. If you want some help screwing it up I'm game.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be keen on seeing how it's done. I've never done one but not afraid of helping.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I need to buy a couple of gears for mine as well. I probably won't be ready till at least after Christmas.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Its not too hard. I did mine blind. I tore mine apart and didn't pay attention on how it came apart. Being a t shift you have a different front output. I set mine with pre load and not end play.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I also set mine with preload rather than end play on the recommendation of those I think are wiser in the way of EBs than me. The only difficult portion of the disassembly was getting the bearing out enough to get to the c clip on the front output. At least that is all I remember being difficult, and I had to do it all twice as I had a problem with only one pill left in there that caused shifting problems. I didn't rebuild the spud shaft though as I am going with a 4R70W tranny and that piece is replaced with the AA kit. JB fab twin shift seens to fit nicely but I don't have it in the truck yet.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got mine completely disassembled and cleaned up. WH deluxe rebuild kit, D20 to ZF5 adapter, and twin sticks is in my possession.

I'm thinking between myself, Justin, and Phyler- we should have enough competence to make this happen. With the exception of the couple days around Christmas and the NYE weekend, I'm pretty flexible.

Let me know what works.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After new years is way better for me. My folks come in tomorrow and go back to canada on the 5th. Thatll also give me a chance to see what Santa and the birthday truck parts fairy bring.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Don't suppose I can drop off 3 or 4 D20s and just pick them up from you guys when you're done rebuilding them for me, could I? ;)

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:41 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 on those yoke nuts. It not too bad. I think the worse part for me was getting the roller pins back in with my it them falling out. With it being colder outside the petroleum jelly should not melt like mine did when I did it in the summer.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where did you buy the yoke nuts from? As for the roller pins, I bought some transmission gel that is supposed to work really well for holding them in place.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I believe Fastenall is a good source for the yoke nuts, especially if you are planning to rebuild a few.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm open to it. Re: the yoke nuts, I'll always spend $2 for stronger parts. I'll take 2.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:37 pm

I bought mine at murdochs. they were like 1.19 each.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I won't have mine but an willing to work on someone's for them. I can meet up any time after this Friday. Just let me know when.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Depending on the day I'd be interested in watching and learning. I'm good at fetching tools and scratching my beard contemplatively...

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm going to attempt to tackle this on Saturday. Will probably get going at about 9am. If you want to come by and lend another set of eyes and opinions, let me know and I can send you my info. Beer fridge is full and can order up food. If you actually know what you're doing, I'll buy you whatever you want!!

-Mike

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]