[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Tool recommendations
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tool recommendations  
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Tool recommendations
Ok, looking for a couple of recommendations. First, any thoughts on an electric 3" cut off tool? I bought the HF one in July and am on unit number 4. I'm on with spending some money to get
a quality one. Maybe I need to look at a 4"? I'd prefer to not go air as I'm not sure my compressor can keep up and I like the flexibility of electric.

Second question is around filters and dryers for the air compressor. What are folks using? I have a 60's Montgomery Ward 20gal compressor. It is 240v and keeps up with my impact, ratchet and die grinder. I got a new rubber hose to replace the plastic one but wanted to filter the air going through better.

I can go the Amazon route but wanted to see what the group thought first.

Thanks!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Tool recommendations
My 5hp 60 gal compressor won't catch up with my 3" cut off wheel.

Otherwise, I've only had 4.5" grinders/cut off tools. I've had Makita & Dewalts and both have been good. A higher amp rating will usually indicate a better tool.

I just got this combo kit in UPS today. I let the magic smoke out of my cheap electric drill at home last weekend. I've been using a similar drill/driver combo from Makita for years at work. This kit will go to work & the old drill & driver will come home.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT324-Lith ... ge_o00_s00

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been using a Ryobi 4" cut off tool for 4 years with zero issues.

I also have been using the Ryobi cordless tools and like them a lot for the price.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a dewalt. its been pretty good for 8 years with moderate to occasional heavy use.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a small HF 3" die grinder and it's worked ok, but I only use it for detailed or harder-to-reach work. When it gets serious, I pull out my 4.5" electric grinder. I have 3 I think. One dewalt and two hitachi's that came in a twin pack. My recommendation is to get a metal head. The dewalt is plastic and I have once stripped out the holding pin for changing the wheel. It was repaired under warranty, but that's a hassle I'd like to avoid in the future. And be careful not to touch the tightening nut on whatever you are working on! That can make it too tight!

Oh, and 3 is a good number. One with a cutting wheel, one with a grinding wheel, and one with a flap disc of sorts!

This is a good source for buying wheels:
http://heleta.com/abrasives/metal-cutting-wheels.html

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, I'm going to get more 4.5" grinders but I liked the 3" for its ability to be controlled easier. I'll look for a 4" as well.

Just need to figure out a filter for the compressor now.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wouldn't sweat the filter too bad. I think an average cheap filter would do fine. I have a really nice set, but they were free, to me. They were used on a paint booth where I used to work, but they were swapped out for a different filter. Totally overkill for normal use.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 am

I have a 4" HF grinder that has served me very well for many years now. But I just upgraded to a new dewalt. It can accept 4 1/2", 5" and 6" stuff. so far it seems to work awesome.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After doing a ton of research this is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Astro-2618-Contro ... B000RH370G. Very happy so far, and it makes for a great water trap in addition to filtering. Unless you're painting or plasma cutting I'm not sure I'd bother.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I typically buy 3 at time, HF 4-1/2" grinders for $11.00. Run & beat the hell out of them until they die. Some last 6mo & some last 2 yrs. I've dewalts & makita's die and live just as long. Just my $.02 (why do I buy 3 at a time? I keep a cut off wheel & flapper wheel & 1 for spare!)

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]