[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Which Atlas
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Which Atlas 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Which Atlas
I am seriously looking at getting an Atlas T-case and never realized how many options there are. For some reason I just thought it was 2 spd vs 4 spd, now I have realized there are at least 3 options for the 2 spd. I am looking for any input on what the best options are, I know I have seen the 3.8 and 5.0 2 spds in Broncos.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Which Atlas
I have the 4spd with the low-low at 10:1. I LOVE it! if you intend on doing some serious wheeling, go with the deep gears. What is your setup? Auto or manual? What are your ultimate goals for your drivetrain?

I don't know what the current offerings are and while my crawl ratio is outrageously low - I have used it many times! Plus having the 4spd allows me three different low-ranges to suit the conditions.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Most of the options I saw where for the 2 speed. My current set up is pretty much irrelevant at this point, I am in the process of an axle swap and decided to start looking to do the trans and t-case immediately after. I have full widths with 4.88's that will be going under it and a 302/C4/D20. I am planning to swap to a ZF-5 and Atlas, the 302 will stay until I find a 351W. I am hoping to have everything done within the next 6 months so I am not as worried about the 302, the only thing holding me back on the 351W is looking for the motor itself.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wont talk you out of a 4speed because they are awesome, but I love my 2 speed 6:1 with a ZF5. Crazy slow with the low 1st plus 6:1.

I have to imagine the 5:1 is pretty awesome as well.

As mine sits now, front and rear driveshafts are the same length, so that is a bonus when it comes to carrying spares.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll admit that the 4spd can create an issue with the rear driveshaft. You really need a high-angle driveline and push the rear axle back as far as you can. Is your new rear a 9"? With a 4spd behind the ZF you need to run a 3/4" spacer, so that pushes things back even further. Perhaps you need an excuse to get a HP 9"?

Note my signature. I'm running what you are planning to do. It's done me well and while I still want to push the rear axle back a few inches, I wouldn't change a thing in regards to gearing. I'm even at 4.10's in the axles.

If you choose a 2spd get the lowest you can and then just use the 5spds in the ZF to get the gearing you need. In the rocks, I think it's all about finesse and you need control to do that. It's just a big jump down to 6:1 from 1:1, where in 5th gear in the ZF @ 6:1 will go only slightly faster than 1st gear @ 1:1. I use my range box or the planetary box when I am snow bashing, or perhaps mudding where you need some wheel spin. You may encounter a situation where you need something in between.

I believe that you can't go wrong getting lower gears in your t-case. It just makes the most sense as you are not sacrificing on-road performance, but gaining so much off-road.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the advice. Rear end is a 9" but I'm not ready to push the rear end back so I think the 4 speed is out. I was already leaning toward the 2 speed but just not really sure if going all the way to the 5:1 would work out. I want to be able to get on the highway yet still be able to crawl.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, my axle is back the 1". I want to go another 2-3", but as Gunni says, that gets into a ton of body work. The 1" is easy and that is where I am at and it works. So don't discount the 4spd if you really want it. I also didn't help myself clocking my atlas flat so it is completely above the frame. My setup is about the worst case scenario.

I think you can get your Atlas pretty flat before you have to notch the frame, but it will still be exposed below the frame. Chad may have better numbers on there and how it compares to the stock orientation of the D20.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am still considering the 4 speed, at this point I am really just trying to gauge the amount of work. The 1" does seem pretty easy and I could probably get that accomplished when I swap axles. Did you do any body mods with the 1" move? Definitely going to check out all your guys threads better when I have some free time.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No body mods required and actually this 1" puts the axle back near the stock location. A lift generally pushes the axle forward.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's what we are all here for! Someone has likely done what you are contemplating and we are all too happy to share experiences.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One more question before I head out for the day. I currently have a 2" body lift, is that enough?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep. That's what I have. Unless you clock it flat, you should not have to modify the body.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Regarding clocking options. It will depend on which spacer you choose to use. You should be able to use either a 1/2" spacer, or 3/4" spacer between the Atlas & ZF. They install slightly differently, so they each will give you a different set of clocking options.

JD used the 3/4" spacer and it allows for a flat clock. I used the 1/2" spacer, and it does not allow for a flat clock, I believe. Mine is set like this right now:

DSCN7877.JPG

Advance Adapter's literature & instructions suck, but their customer service has been very helpful. I'd call them and ask for the clocking options with a 1/2" spacer vs the 3/4" spacer. I'm sure they can explain the options. I wasn't going to clock mine as flat as I did, but when it was hanging clear of the frame, it looked really vulnerable to getting caught on obstacles. So I went the extra mile to notch the frame and clock it up. I think with the 1/2" spacer, and a 2" bodylift, you could clock the Atlas like mine, without getting into the tub floor.

I have a 3/4" spacer kit, that I didn't use. They wanted a restocking fee, a discount because it was 'scratched' from test fitting, plus freight back to them. So I didn't return it. I'll make you a nice deal on mine, if you end up going with the 3/4" spacer. I think you'll need a spacer with the 2 speed or the 4 speed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1" back is easy. You can just redrill the spring plates for the centering pins. More than that is a bigger deal. I extended the wheel wells for a longer stretch. It was easy, but my 23 gallon fuel tank is now a limiting factor.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]