[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Need a Winch Whisperer
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Need a Winch Whisperer 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Need a Winch Whisperer
I have a Warn 5687 or also known as a Belleview. It came with the Bronco and I am trying to figure out how to get this thing up and running. It did not come with any cable controls to the dash and so I would love some help figuring this out.

Here is a link to what the controls looked like: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php

This is a detailed link to the schematics and tech info:
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/warn5687.php

I have done a lot of research to see what people have done to either modify or try to improve on some of the functions of this 40 year old beast. What I can best deduce is that I using continuous heavy duty solenoids attached to a power toggle switch on the dash would be the best way to turn the power on/off. I have also read that you can get heavy duty tractor cable with a T handle from a NAPA to run for the Brake. I am guessing you can also run the same cable and T handle for the Power In? Anyone have a better idea to run the power IN?

I also saw this write up on someone who wired up an air braking system to create an automatic brake: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-g ... brake.html

Another really good link to a rebuild of one: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... erid=57133

So this is the first winch I have ever had and I am electrically challenged. I would really like some help getting this back to functioning and the more I read on it, I actually really like that it is an "era correct" winch. Considering I am going to have to create my own controls, i would really love it if someone wanted to help out -- I pay well with beer and food!! :beer:

Thanks!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Need a Winch Whisperer
I have one of these winches as well. On mine, one of the control levers on the winch broke off, so I can't use the cable to control it.

I have mine set up on a removable frame and stick it in a receiver hitch at the front of my trailer. I just use a solenoid to control it pulling in and have nothing controlling the braking feature (except my hand, which works pulling stuff up on the trailer). Same for the in/out feature.

I believe I have the cables still. Shoot me a PM/call if you're interested.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

PM sent. Anyone else have advice or want to help me semi-modernize this thing?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Re-visiting this. Would like to get my Warn Belleview hooked up but not entirely sure how. Would like to make this electric with remote.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ah ok, shouldn't be too hard, you would just hook up a remote kit to the solenoid i would presume. You can use a modern solenoid pack if needed.

like this? https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Wireles ... B005FNCM44

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

easy peasy

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm not very familiar with the Belleviews and only a little familiar with the 8274s, but certainly there are ways to modify that thing for remote operation.

Are you looking for 100% remote control with power in and power out? Or something in-between that and where it is now?

For full control, I would imagine you would need to do the following:

- retro-fit a reversable motor (modern series wound with the field contacts external to the case)
- buy a Warn remote relay pack (H-bridge) from an M8000 or 9000
- design / fabricate a solenoid that, when active, disengages the brake. Electrically tie that solenoid to the remote. You will likely need to design a lockout, so the brake has to disengage slightly before the motor engages. Sorta like how the starter gear needs to engage the flywheel before spooling up the starter. Timing would be critical so the brake doesn't disengage too early and allow a loaded winch to roll back under the tension of the rope.

A guy could try to retro-fit the auto brake from a 8274, but I imagine this would be a lot of fab work and by the time you were done, it would look so much like an 8274 that you'd be better off starting with that platform.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am not really looking for full control. I am simply trying to hook up this winch so that I can use a solenoid pack to power it and a remote to run the "in" operation. I am assuming that I will have to manually use the brake function.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spoke with Landshark a little bit and put an order together to get my current winch hooked up to a solenoid with a wireless remote. I will probably keep my eyes out for a good deal on an 8274 or do a little more research if it is worth retrofitting the Belleview with an 8274 motor to give it the in/out function. Either way, should be pretty easy to swap in the 8274 over the Belleview if I find one.

Ordered this solenoid: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-90-14452

Ordered this remote-- I liked that it had a POWER button so that I can keep the winch power turned off unless I am using it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK ... UTF8&psc=1

This rope: https://roweoffroad.com/shop/synthetic- ... -suv-jeep/

This flatlink: http://factor55.com/product/flatlink-e-expert/

This fairlead: http://factor55.com/product/hawse-fairleads/

** I had ordered a pilot toggle switch for an in cab power on switch but thinking I may not use it since the remote has a power button. Any reason I should still hardwire a switch into the cab?

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is a motor I understand can be used to upgrade an 8274. You might look into it, if you end up going that direction.

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-39436-12-Vo ... B000CQFVM4

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a couple of 8274's I found on Craigslist. First one looks to be kind of a deal.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I've got a lead on an 8274 for $300. Is that a fair price? Also- how would I be able to test it and make sure it's not a total rebuild?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Feb '17 Four Wheeler has an article on rebuilding the free spool and brake on an 8274, thought maybe the info in there could be of use

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 am

[quote="Eck"]So I've got a lead on an 8274 for $300. Is that a fair price? Also- how would I be able to test it and make sure it's not a total rebuild?

You could fab up at a quick receiver hitch, just to test it under a load ?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2...everything Digger said. At $300, you can buy almost any part for that winch. Even if you spent $500 in repair parts, you'll still be in the black!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

they are easy to work on and the parts are plentiful, i wouldn't be afraid to pick that one up

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x4 or whatever. $6-700 is a common price for the 8274, so $300 is a screaming deal if it's in decent shape.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok- so I know how to check the free spool knob to make sure that works. Clearly know how to check it for leaks and cracks. I think I also have it figured out how to power the in/out of the motor.

The only thing I am not sure how to check without putting it under a load is the brake. Also, how the ratchet works? Any last minute advice before I go check it out tomorrow?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The ratchet pawl is straight forward. It is spring loaded to keep the pawl tight to the ratchet wheel on the exterior of the winch. This is part of the braking mechanism. Just made sure it moves freely and wants to seat against the ratchet wheel.

The brake works when the motor is engaged but not moving. If the drum tries to turn without being driven by the motor, this will drive a cam/ramp on the spur gear shaft attached to the ratchet wheel. The ramp causes the side plates on either side of the ratchet wheel to squeeze the ratchet wheel, which cannot turn because of the ratchet pawl, thus stopping the drum from spooling out.

The way to test this would be to engage the motor and try to turn the drum in the spool-out direction. This should engage the brake and stop the drum. You will likely see the side plates moving and squeezing the ratchet wheel. That whole mechanism should move freely to work properly.

It relies on two friction discs between the side plates and ratchet wheel. (Looks like a clutch friction liner) If these are worn or missing, the brake may not work properly. In that case, just make sure the side plates move properly and buy new friction discs later.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well- here she is for better or for worse. Seems to have checked out. Ran power to it, hooked up the remote and was able to power in and out.

Now to get the steel cable off and get it it cleaned up. Any tips or ideas on how to try to polish it up a little?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Nice score!
To spruce up the aluminum try some 500-1200 grit sandpaper or scotchbrite and then some mothers polish.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got it all cleaned up this afternoon. Wire brush, brake cleaner and a little finishing polish did a pretty good job. Hope to get it installed and wired up tomorrow.

ImageImageImage

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks great!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! January 1982 winch if I read the letters right.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next