[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 75 Bronco Build
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 75 Bronco Build 

Post 75 Bronco Build
Well I've had the Bronco for 6 weeks now and now ready to start a build thread. With the new ICM it fires right up and I've been driving it around the neighborhood with no real issues. I've taking quite a few notes/measurements of the stock stance for reference did a compression check on the motor 90-120psi on all cylinders, Western Motors will be doing a full rebuild. I've got 300 zip lock bags and markers and will start the teardown this weekend and will start bagging and tagging. Here is the last photo before going into the garage for who know how long.
Wife is not happy with giving up her parking spot!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 75 Bronco Build
Following for sure!!!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I made some progress on the tear down this weekend, removed a lot of parts with just a Phillips screwdriver , 5/16,3/8, 1/2,9/16 sockets and some pliers man there isn't much to these things! Found a little rust on the passenger side but some will be removed with the rockers.
I sure am glad to be back in the garage!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome! You have a secure place to store body panels so they don't get damaged as you work on this rig??

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 am

That last picture is a spare bedroom downstairs that I'm storing parts in that is until the wife finds out spank

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Subcribed

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Not a lot of progress this weekend, I met and talked Bronco's with Mickphatmac was nice meeting you and your son.
I worked on removing the rest of the side trim, headliner, windshield wipers components and took out the inner fender wells

Took as many measurement/pictures of the current suspension and going to crunch the number between 4-link vs. springs. This is not my strong point but looking at the Ruffstuff 4Link rear and 3Link front vs. Alcan springs. Hoping to see some 4-link Broncos in person to get some more information.

Measured how far back I can relocate a gas tank and it looks like the most I can get is maybe a 6.5-7" rear stretch. So this week I'll be removing the 44/9" axles and putting them up for sale (what's the going price for a set of EB axles??) Also pick up a set of 35x12.50 R15 BFG as rollers to check tire clearance and flex.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 am

Picked up a new D floor pan and 1" body lift from BH this week and sold the 44/9 combo, now the dirty task of removing the 3-speed transmission T-case and mocking up the 4R70W.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your not fooling around !

Subscribed !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 am

No huge updates this weekend we had a HS friend in from Phx so we did the tourist thing. I was able to pull the transmission/transfer case what a dirty/oily mess!!!. I decided to just go ahead and 4-link the rear and 3-Link the front ordered the kits from Ruffstuff, along with the 4R70W adaptor from Toms so that way I can mock up the rear end and then finalize the dimension on the Aero Gas tank to maximize fuel capacity.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Please keep me updated on Aero Tank! I am very interested in what you come up with!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

please tell me your not running 6 lug chevy axles to match those wheels

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:29 pm

But 5 lugs are an uneven number LOL
I'm not running those rims they just came with the 35's. I will be using a HP44/9" out of a 1976F-150

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am impressed with the motivation and progress. Keep it up!!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Progress has been a little slow due to friends/family visiting from out of town, but here's where I'm at after this weekend. I finally got all the OEM suspension brackets removed and grinded smooth and installed the 1" body lift to then mocked up the 4R70W transmission. I then started to measure for the rear stretch and shooting for 5.5 - 6" and then 2" up front which will get me close to a 100"WB I then installed a temporary rear frame cross member so that I could remove the OEM since its now directly over the rear pumpkin. Brackets are just clamped on for now as I'm playing with different number on the calculator to see what my best option are, as of right now my only concern is the uppers and trying to achieve 40-45 degree's ??. Once I get the rear tacked on then comes the fun part of clearing the rear wheel wells for shock hoops.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks like a lot of fun!! You are still making a lot of progress!

That tranny mount looks like it hangs quite low. You have any plans for that?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow making good progress

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How many of these have you rebuilt before?! I am amazed at the organization, progress, and documentation so far. I just started taking bolts off, cutting metal, and buying parts when I started mine!! Very impressive, keep it up.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Everyone!
For now the transmission cross-member is temporary, once I get the t-case mounted/driveshaft I'll see how it looks and then either make a custom mount or keep old one although I think the transmission pan is my lowest spot will need to be addressed.

For now the rear will take me about a month to relocate the wheel tubes and get everything tacked and cycled before I can start on the front, then comes the fun part of installing a cage and tying it all together before removing the tub and fully welding the new suspension and painting the frame and underside.

This is my 2nd off road build, I learned a lot with the first one although it was 90% done with just reading magazines as I wasn't "hip" to forums and all the knowledge members bring, so I'm really excited about this build and getting feedback/advice from member here .

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 am

Were did September go?
Not a lot of visible progress with the build most of the time I was spent measuring and inputting number's into the 4-link calculator. I've ended up with what I believe are some decent "middle ground" number that should give me some flexibility up/down then fabricated a upper truss to mount the link bracket and tacked everything in place. Sounds simple enough but I bet I've had the axle in and out 20 time to measure, weld and check angles. Hoping to have the frame mounts tacked in this weekend to cycle the axle before moving to the front.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Beefy!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can't wait to see this 4-link!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks Kinder/Jesus_man
Its just a little added security plus the "unsprung" weight shouldn't hurt anything. I finally tacked all the frame mounts last night and cycled the suspension, with 8" of up travel the top truss clears the frame by 1/2" on both side. By using the middle setting it gives me a starting point of 79% AS with -2 Roll understeer now to start on the front links this weekend.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm

A front 3 link install proves to be a bit more tough in trying to clear some of the drivetrain items, I've changed the placements twice and thought I was good until I cycled the suspension and only had 4" of up travel before the upper link axle mount hits the passenger motor mount. I felt that my only option was to raised the frame another inch and cut the track bar mount 1.5" which still giving me 3 settings and should now be 6" of up travel. I then need to make a decision on making a custom 4R70W transmission mount or trying to modify the OEM one to clear the upper link frame mount, here is what I came up with which should be fine. So for now the F/R suspension brackets are tacked in place and I will be purchasing/installing the actual link tubing then order/installing the front Y steering and see if everything still clears. There hasn't been lot of visual progress going on (so the wife say's banghead ) just a lot if me laying on my back moving brackets and checking numbers. lol

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Progress is looking good

Better to get it done right, rather than quickly

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks Rox Crusher, I'm hoping have a good base start and focusing most of my time/money for now on the suspension in hopes of a better ride vs. the OEM set up. I still needed to fab/modify the middle body mounts since removing them to fit the rear upper brackets, my first thought was to just make some new ones but was able to make the stock ones work with minimal effort. I purchased 2x.250 DOM for the link material cut them all to size and hope to weld all the bungs in place this weekend, its been a nice change from working with PVC and clamps for the past months!

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 am

I reached a "milestone" this weekend and was able to toss the PVC links! My front steering parts should arrive from Ruffstuff tomorrow then I'll be able to finalize the placement of the steering bracket in order to check for any clearance issues. The rear seems to cycle fine so I started looking at what's needed to clear the inner fender wells, I haven't even started to trim the rear opening and the 35's look quite small. My plan is to use some 1.5 tubing in hopes of making the opening more proportional for the rear stretch if not maybe 37" are in my future. foshizzle

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome!!

All I can say is....yes 37's are in your future. Plan for it! With what you are doing to make this very capable, you will want 37's soon!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Made a template yesterday for covering the wheel wells, I was going to order a pair of OEM tubs to extend them but had some 19 gauge sheets and came up with this. For now I'll weld the two pieces together make another one for the passenger side then attach using pop rivets so that the it can be removed later in the build to figure out how/where to cut for fuel tube.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking good

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next