[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Ham Radio Testing
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Ham Radio Testing 
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post Ham Radio Testing
The last couple of months I have been studying up on HAM radio and wanting to take the test but couldn't because of the Covid lockdown. Then I got to thinking of how good it would be for club trail runs and big events like Supercell.

How many of you would be seriously interested in taking the test as a group? I haven't reached out to the HAM clubs yet but I'm sure if we got enough people to take it at once we could get one to host us.

Typically the test is $20 or less and the license lasts 10 years. The test is 35 questions, you must answer 26 correct I believe. The questions are drawn from a pool of 300 questions all of which can be found at HAM study dot org.

For now this is just a feeler, if you're interested post up and if there is enough interest I'll try reaching out to one of the HAM clubs.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Ham Radio Testing
I’m a definite maybe.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’d be in.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’m in

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would be interested

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just got my technician license a few months ago. Did my test through Tri-Lakes Amateur Radio Club (https://w0tlm.com/). Was $20 or so for the class and $30 for the book.

Download the Technician Ham Radio Exam by Roy Watson from the app store. Will help tremendously.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:12 am

im in. I need to upgrade my license.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had my Ham ticket for 11 years now. I would highly recommend it. The core group of guys I've wheeled with over the last 15 years have their tickets and it has been the best form of trail comms out there.

Colorado is one of the best states for Hams. We have an incredible repeater network. Even at the Tech level, there are amazing digitial modes like APRS that can really enhance how you use the back country with friends.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be in.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:26 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

So I've been slacking on looking into this, but a post on the CEBG FB page got me to digging again. There is a free session in Longmont on Aug 8th, I went ahead and registered myself for it. There are still 5 slots available if any of you want to jump in. Here's the link to register for it https://hamstudy.org/sessions/w0pct?fbc ... 5FJI_ubDec

It sounds like online testing is starting to roll out now too, so look into that if you don't want to make the drive north.

The Ham study link above is the best free resource I've found for practice tests.

Also, it looks like Kelly Shaw is putting together a decent little package on radios on the CBEG FB page so check that out if you need an entry level radio.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Shoot, I'm fishing that day. On the up side, I'm fishing that day.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Club fishing day after testing? It'd give ya a chance to try the northern waters...I'll keep the beer cold.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tournament at Spinney, otherwise I'd be 100% down for that. We should set a club run to Jenny or one of the high mountain lakes sometime.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the link, if I wasn’t working I’d join you.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hear a lot of the off-roading community is going to GMRS radios. I bought the MXT400 (up to 60 miles range) and MVT275 (up to 15 mile range).

https://midlandusa.com/micromobile/

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

GMRS is great but someone in the group needs a license as well even though it doesn't involve a test. Per FCC one in the group must be licensed. Have had my General ticket for 35 yrs or so. Currently have no radios setup in mobile rigs. Need to get one in the truck one of these days for elk hunting when Zoso upgrades his ticket. Nice part is he can go right to General since he has a Novice license.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]